Super Sailors is our fun junior's club which runs from 9am to about midday each sailing Saturday from Spring, through Summer, into Autumn. Under the guidance of an RYA qualified Senior Instructor, the focus is to have fun and gain confidence on the water whilst improving sailing skills.
We accept youngsters from the age of 8 to 16 years. No previous sailing experience is necessary, just enthusiasm, and to not mind getting wet. We provide buoyancy aids and helmets which must be worn at all times on, or near, the water.
There is no charge for Super Sailors but we do require that all juniors taking part in Super Sailors are club members, either as part of a family membership, or in their own right. See the "join the club" page for more details of the various types of membership on offer.
We also offer formal training following the RYA Youth Start Sailing Scheme - click here for details and to book your place.
Important notes to parents and guardians: A parent or guardian must stay at the club during all sessions. We are a self help club where everyone volunteers their time - which means that when your youngster comes along to Super Sailors you automatically become a Super Sailors volunteer too.
Super Sailors volunteers are asked to:
- Help their children to get boats out of storage and to rig them (we will show you how if you don't know)
- Make sure boats are not put on the water until checked over by an Instructor
- Help their children to put the boats away properly afterwards (basically the reverse of getting them out)
- Provide a galley service as sailing is thirsty work
- Assist the Instructors as they get the safety boats out of storage and onto the water
- Provide encouragement to all juniors on an equal basis
- Let the Instructors do the instructing bit
Qualified Instructor Super Sailors volunteers will:
- Check all sailing boats before they are put on the water
- Provide safety boat cover during all sessions on the water
- Provide encouragement and guidance to all juniors on an equal basis.
When you and your child first come along to Super Sailors we would love to offer you the chance to experience sailing together in one of our larger training boats with an experienced sailor at the helm. Sailing is an activity that all the family can take part in and enjoy. If you are interested please come along to the club during Super Sailors and speak to Helen to find out more. If we don't offer this experience to you please remind us.