Sailing Refresher - Spring 2017
Get back on the water - sailing refresher Thursday 18th and Wednesday 24th May 2017
- Looking to get back into sailing after the winter?
- Want to refresh your skills before you take the RYA Start Racing course?
- Then join us at the Sailing Club for two sailing refresher evenings on the 18th and 24th May from 6pm.
- This training event is FREE but please book your place so we know how many sailors to expect.
Available to members only.
All RYA courses are based on the appropriate RYA Handbook and are designed to give you the skills, experience and confidence to gain your RYA certification. As the time on the course is limited, and to maximize the time gaining practical skills on the water, you may be asked to complete theory work at home or read ahead.
- We suggest you wear layers of warm quick drying clothing (no denim!), protected by a wind/waterproof layer. To protect your feet and the boat wear canvas shoes / trainers / wet boots / sailing wellies. Unfortunately, bare feet, high heels, and gardening wellies are NOT allowed.
- Please remember a hat and gloves for courses in cold weather along with sunscreen, a cap and cheap sunglasses with a restraining strap for warm weather courses.
- Always bring a change of clothing and a towel with you, as there is a strong chance you will get wet!! Especially on capsize drill day.
You must always wear a buoyancy aid on jetties or while afloat in a boat. For the duration of the course you may borrow a club buoyancy aid from the training room but please ensure this is returned at the end of each session. After your course, you will be expected to provide your own buoyancy aid while sailing and powerboating.
In case of an accident we have asked you for the details of your Next of Kin, please ensure this information is up to date.
If you are on medication that you think we may need to know about please tell us, also if you need an inhaler or epi pen please ensure these are easily accessible by Instructors in case you require them.
Pre existing injuries
Please inform your Senior Instructor of any injuries.
- The course programme is not rigid. Weather conditions may mean alterations need to be made to the sequence of the course however all the listed exercises will be covered during the course.
- RYA Handbooks and Logbooks will be issued as required (the cost is covered by the course fee) and you will get the appropriate certificate at the end of the course. Please ask your Instructor to sign off the stages of your progression in your Log Book after each session.
- If you are having problems or are not happy with any aspect of the course, please discuss them with your Instructor, Senior Instructor or Training Principal.
- Each person is individual; we expect them to progress at their own rate. We will help you to progress, an will work at a pace to suit yourself where appropriate.
- We hope you will not have any complaints but please note if required we do have a formal complaints procedure, to investigate any issues.
And finally . . . .
The Club is indebted to the volunteers who are qualified RYA Instructors and who willingly give up their time to ensure we are able to offer these taster sessions. We love sailing and want to give you the chance to love it too.
|Start date||Thursday, 18 May 2017|
|Price||Free - Members only|